Green Dragon Extraction

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Green Dragon Extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

I know THAT feeling, life has it's demands but you can always pop in to chat.

My accident was over 2 years ago and we still have over a year for the court date, if the defendant doesn't settle before.
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Well thankfully there were no serious injuries with this one...

It's the out of pocket that has been killing me! I had been in and out of rentals for 6 months! Adding up over $3500 in rental fees alone....and the insurance company has paid none of it...so far! I had to stop the bleeding from that so I went on the search for another vehicle....and found what I hope will work out.

So now that I have managed to stop the bleeding, LET THE FIGHT BEGIN!!! LOL
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Thankfully...

Yeah I had to go out of pocket on my rental and this and that too, it's hard when you don't have it to spare. On the upside, now that you have a vehicle, you'll have more time to chat here! :lol:
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Fascinating. I can't wait to try try.

Question: the tutorials calls for a press. Are we talking hash press?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Not *all* tutorials call for a press but virtually any kind of press that's large enough will work. A "hash press" is just some other kind of press that's being used for hash, they're not special designs. You can use virtually any hydraulic or manual press. Sam skips the press because he said, IIRC, that more of the fine waste product that is harder to filter out is passed through.

YMMV...
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Is investing in a press a good idea if I plan to be making a lot of this?

There's a language disconnect too here. I had never used the term double boiler before, we actually call it a bain-marie here, so had to Google that.

I have no idea where I'd go to buy one or how much it costs. What's the exact purpose of the press, what does it achieve?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

A press simply removes a larger amount of solvent from the product being washed but it will also remove more of the fine silt that would need to be filtered later. Eventually it would pay for the press but we're talking maybe a few ml difference in the batch size posted here. Mr H. or Sam might have more input regarding the need or the pros/cons. I think I'd skip it but I'm not the extraction expert.

Here's an example of a press:
overkill for what you want
You'd want some stainless plate to squeeze with and something to catch the extraction. Amazon might have something better but I didn't look. You might be able to use a juice press (or a centrifugal juicer) or a seed/nut press too.
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Well I own the Breville BJE820XL so maybe I could find a use for that.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

That would *probably* work but if you used it for GD you might not ever get it clean enough to use for juice again so you might buy a cheaper one for the GD if you decide to try it. That would mostly work for smaller batches, like above, or you'd be spending a lot of time at the juicer. ;)
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

FCG-Frank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 am wrote:Fascinating. I can't wait to try try.

Question: the tutorials calls for a press. Are we talking hash press?
Sorry, i have torn my biceps tendon at the elbow of dominant arm and can't type well, so short answer. Not a hash press unless it's big enough to squeeze your cannabis. I mainly use a potato ricer or just twist the straining material in the cheesecloth if you use that. I don't squeeze it a lot because of disabilities, but if you time the squeeze right you can get nearly all the alcohol without as much silt. The alcohol will only drain out so much with the press no matter how hard you squeeze or twist, but it will drain with gravity very well, slower, and then you just squeeze it every minute, if using your hand it would be like milking a cow, pushing down from above and squeezing the end. With a press you would squeeze, release, wait a minute, squeeze, release and wait. Each squeeze will net from a ml or two to an ounce, so it's worth the extra effort at the end. You only press after the second run. :)